How to Install Wireshark Step by Step
Basics / Status
Wireshark is a software protocol analyzer or “packet sniffer” application used to solve a network protocol, analysis, protocol, and software development and training. As the data stream enters and leaves the network, any curious protocol “captures” the PDU and can decode and analyze its content according to the correct RFC or other features.
It is a useful tool for anyone working with networks and can be used for data analysis and problem-solving in most laboratory applications in CCNA courses. In this lab, you will receive instructions to download and install Wireshark.
It was the industry standard packet detector program used by network engineers. This open-source software is available for many different operating systems including Windows, MAC, and Linux. In this lab, you will download and install the Wireshark software program on the PC.
Note: Before downloading Wireshark, check with the instructor of the academy’s software download policy.
Step 1: Download Wireshark.
1. Wireshark can be downloaded from www.wireshark.org.
2. Click Download Wireshark.
3. Select the software you need according to the PC’s architecture and operating system. For example, if you have a 64-bit computer with Windows, select Windows Installer (64-bit).
After the selection is made, the download starts. The location of the downloaded file depends on the scanner and the operating system it uses. For Windows users, the default location is the Downloads folder.
Step 2: Install Wireshark.
1. The downloaded file is named Wireshark-win64-x.x.x.exe, which indicates the version number X. Double-click the file to start the installation process.
2. Respond to security messages that appear on the screen. If you already have a copy of Wireshark on the PC, you will be prompted to uninstall the previous version before installing the new version. It is recommended that you uninstall the previous Wireshark version before installing another version. Click Yes to uninstall the previous version of Wireshark.
3. If you installed Wireshark for the first time, or if you do so after completing the removal, go to the Wireshark installation wizard. Click Next.
4. Continue the installation process. When the License Agreement window appears, click I Agree.
to. Save the default settings in the Select Component window and click Next.
5. Select the shortcut options you want, and then click Next.
6. You can change the installation location of Wireshark, but it is recommended that you keep the default location if you do not have limited disk space.
7. To capture data from the active network, WinPcap must be installed on the PC. If WinPcap is already installed on the computer, the Setup checkbox is disabled. If the installed version of WinPcap is older than the version that contains Wireshark, it is recommended that you allow the latest version to be installed by clicking the Install WinPcap x.x.x checkbox (version number).
8. If you install WinPcap.j, finish the WinPcap setup wizard. Wireshark starts installing the files and opens a separate window with the status of the installation. When the installation is complete, click Next.
9. Click Finish to complete the Wireshark installation.
Source: SYSNETTECH Solutions